Translate

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Grateful...

Today I headed over to our local farmers market.  The mushroom vendor was there and knows me by now.  I was out of cash, and he said to take the mushrooms and give him the money next time.  I just can't imagine that happening at Safeway.

And there were fresh cranberry's, and the lady took the time to tell me how to cook them and gave me a recipe.

No one was dressed up, it was a cool day and they all had mismatched jackets and hats.  It was a bit sad, with things winding down for this growing season, and this being one of the last market days of the year, until next spring.

I hate leaving my house on Saturdays.  I will do anything to avoid getting out of my pj's and going out in public, but I love my fresh produce and the other treats that I find at the market.  And I think we have to do what we can to support those small local farmers.  I've talked with folks working in that industry, and it is a pretty tough business to survive in.  A lot of hard work and sacrifice is needed, and there are easier ways to support a family. We need more people to choose this way of life and we need to do what we can to help them out, without farmers there would be no food.  Simple as that.


When I got home I dug out this Thomas Kinkaid stamp and created this card using a modified version of the same sketch I used earlier today from Our Creative Corner.

I stamped the image using brown ink on kraft paper, and then applied pastels gently with a sponge applicator (like an eyeshadow brush) in general areas (orange to the tree areas/red to the barn/grey to the roof/green to the grass).  For the main background sheet I stamped vanilla craft ink on to the cardstock to give it a pattern.  The sheet in the top left hand corner is my favorite piece.  I stamped the cardstock with vanilla ink using a linen background stamp.  Then I sprayed it with a golden Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist.  Then I ran it through the cuttlebug with an embossing folder.  To finish it off and add a bit of colour I used a brown ink pad and brushed that over the raised edges.

I hope you are all enjoying this Thanksgiving weekend and taking time to reflect on the things we have to be thankful for.

10 comments:

  1. Living in the country is great, isn't it. I too like the way people are more relaxed and giving. This is a great, country-themed thank you card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina, beautiful card. Love the stamp and what you did with the sketch! Great job! Thanks for playing along with OCC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely card Kristina. Really nice job on the OCC Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely card! Perfect for the occasion. The image and colors are just beautiful! Thanks so much for playing along with the OCC sketch challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very pretty, I love the muted color. I am the exact same way on Saturdays! It takes a lot to get me out of my pajamas, even more to get me out of the house. Usually I have to be bribed with a trip to a craft store!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I love the Farmers Market! I used to sell mums for a grower and had such a good time! Your card is stunning! Wonderful image and awesome details! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty card! Thanks for joining us at the OCC this week!
    Cindyb

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one beautiful card! I love everything about it, especially the way you tore the paper around the Kinkaid image. Thanks for your reflection about country living and farmers. I grew up in the country, but have lived in the city my entire adult life. I would love to get back to my roots now and then. Your card makes me nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice Krissy :D lol your blog inspired me to pull out the messed up boxes, organize stamps and play! Kids and I did polyshrink all night yesterday and made cards today. I seem to have lost my touch tho, hope it will come back.

    ReplyDelete